Individual must be approved by the ATS and possess at least one of the following:
- Experience at a minimum journey- or technician-level (at least 4 years) in the specific craft they wish to be certified to teach OR
- A minimum of three years’ experience as a certified teacher in a vocational/technical construction or maintenance-related training program in the specific craft they wish to be certified to teach.
Documentation of an Instructor’s qualifications must be reviewed, validated through appropriate follow-up with the issuer or employer and kept on file by the Sponsor Representative. Documentation must be one of the following:
- A diploma from an acceptable post-secondary institution in the specific construction field(s) to be taught/evaluated (ex. HVAC/Electrical/Welding etc.) OR
- A resume documenting actual experience in the curriculum title(s) or specific module(s) the individual intends to teach OR
- Passing score on the relevant NCCER assessment OR
- A license granted by a state in the specific construction field(s) to be taught/evaluated (ex. HVAC/Electrical/Welding etc.) OR
- Relevant certification by a state Department of Education relevant to the specific subject/occupation taught.
Some titles have additional instructor requirements such as Safety, Green/Sustainable etc. Please visit the applicable craft page on the NCCER website for additional instructor requirements.
The Sponsor Representative must ensure the Instructor has the proper qualifications for all craft areas they are certified to teach. Documentation of qualifications must be kept per the eligibility requirements listed above. Documentation of all qualifications must be readily available for audit purposes and to submit to NCCER upon request.
Search Craft Pages for Additional Instructor Requirements