Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) are a vital part of NCCER’s Curriculum development process. A team of volunteer SMEs is assembled to review and revise the curriculum for each craft. SMEs are construction and maintenance professionals who have journey-level experience, as well as experience teaching their trades to others. SMEs represent construction companies and schools from around the country and ensure that our curriculum remains current with industry standards.
SMEs should meet the following requirements:
- Have an outstanding knowledge of their trade
- Have the ability to communicate verbally
- Be familiar with NCCER Curricula
- Have journey-level experience in their craft
- Have experience teaching the trade to others
- Be able to attend meetings over an extended period of time, as much as two years for some crafts
If you would like to become an SME or nominate an individual, please submit a nomination form or contact NCCER Product and Program Development at 888.622.3720 for more information. The printable form is also available.